Ford CEO plays down reports of an early exit
Alan Mulally, the president and CEO of Ford Motor, has told CNBC that he is committed to his job, playing down reports that he could leave the company earlier than expected.
"I clearly am absolutely focused on Ford… I love serving Ford," he said on Friday.
The comments come amid reports that Ford's board of directors is open to letting Mulally step down earlier than expected as he "explores other roles", according to Reuters sources.
However, a Ford spokesperson said on Friday: " There is no change from what we announced in November: Alan Mulally plans to continue to serve as Ford's president and CEO through at least 2014."
The 68-year-old was expected to remain CEO of the second-largest U.S. carmaker until at least the end of 2014, according to a company succession plan outlined last year. Mulally was hired in 2006 and has been credited with helping to bring Ford back from the brink of collapse at the height of the financial crisis.
Mulally was speaking to CNBC at Berlin's IFA technology conference where the company is expected to unveil a new concept car later on Friday.