GO
Loading...

Nestle CEO Held No Talks on Alcon Sale: Report

Nestle, the world's largest food company, has held no talks about the possible sale of its stake in U.S.-based eyecare firm Alcon, said Chief Executive Officer Peter Brabeck in an interview in the Financial Times on Monday.

"It is our duty to constantly look at and review our financial assets. But there have been no discussions on the future of Alcon," Brabeck was quoted as saying in the newspaper.

Last week, Nestle Chief Financial Officer Paul Polman said Alcon was no longer viewed with the same strategic importance for the group as it had been previously, and that the stake was increasingly viewed as financial, not strategic.

Polman is widely tipped to be named as Brabeck's replacement as CEO in September.

But Brabeck told the Financial Times that the stake remained "strategic."

Nestle owns a 77.55% stake in Alcon, according to Reuters data. Alcon has a market value of $41 billion.

Contact U.S. News

  • CNBC NEWSLETTERS

    Get the best of CNBC in your inbox

    Please choose a subscription
    Please enter a valid email address
    To learn more about how we use your information,
    please read our Privacy Policy.

Don't Miss

U.S. Video

  • Netflix nears an all-time high. Are more gains in store? With CNBC's Melissa Lee and the Options Action traders.

  • According to research from Bespoke Investment Group, less than 7 percent of all analyst ratings are to sell, with the rest fairly evenly split between buy and hold. CNBC's Jeff Cox reports.

  • The high cost of doing business in San Francisco is motivating start-ups to consider movig to Oakland where the the average asking rent is nerarly 50 percent less.