10. Italy: 5,960 UHNW individuals
9. Switzerland: 6,400 UHNW individuals
8. United Kingdom: 9,370 UHNW individuals
7. Hong Kong*: 10,010 UHNW individuals
6. France: 10,120 UHNW individuals
5. Canada: 10,840 UHNW individuals
4. Germany: 15,080 UHNW individuals
3. China: 16,875 UHNW individuals
2. Japan: 17,915 UHNW individuals
1. United States: 79,595 UHNW individuals
* Hong Kong is a semi-autonomous, special administrative region of China.
While the U.S. remains the dominant UHNW country, global wealth-creation is quickly moving to Asia, Wealth-X notes. The U.S. actually "recorded the weakest growth in its ultra wealthy population and net worth among the top seven countries." Its population of ultra wealthy individuals increased by 8.9 percent between 2016 and 2017, whereas countries like Japan, China and France saw double-digit gains.
In addition to looking at the year-on-year change in UHNW populations across countries, Wealth-X looked at the compound annual growth rate since 2012. By that measure, Bangladesh, a small country in South Asia, is the fastest growing UHNW country, followed by China, Vietnam, Kenya and India. Its UHNW population has grown by more than 17 percent since 2012.