The best restaurant in the world has only 12 tables.
Osteria Francescana, a three-Michelin-starred restaurant in Modena, Italy — with tasting menu dishes that range from "The crunchy part of the lasagna" to suckling pig — tops the The World's 50 Best Restaurants list for 2018. (It also won in 2016.)
The new ranking, released Tuesday, includes restaurants from 23 countries around the world.
Of the 50 best eateries, six are in the United States — Eleven Madison Park (no. 4), Cosme (no. 25) and Le Bernardin (no. 26) in Manhattan, New York; Blue Hill at Stone Barns (no. 12) in Pocantico Hills, New York; Alinea (no. 34) in Chicago, Illinois; and Saison (no. 46) in San Francisco, California. Seven are in Spain and five are in France.
The list is compiled by tallying the votes of 1,000 international restaurant industry experts and "well-traveled gourmets," according to a statement.
Here is the full list:
1. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
2. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
3. Mirazur, Menton, France
4. Eleven Madison Park, Manhattan, New York
5. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand
6. Central, Lima, Peru
7. Maido, Lima, Peru
8. Arpege, Paris, France
9. Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain
10. Asador Etxebarri, Axpe, Spain
11. Quintonil, Mexico City, Mexico
12. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, New York
13. Pujol, Mexico City, Mexico
14. Steirereck, Vienna, Austria
15. White Rabbit, Moscow, Russia
16. Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy
17. Den, Tokyo, Japan
18. Disfrutar, Barcelona, Spain
19. Geranium, Copenhagen, Denmark
20. Attica, Melbourne, Australia
21. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, Paris, France
25. Cosme, Manhattan, New York
26. Le Bernardin, Manhattan, New York
27. Boragó, Santiago, Chile
28. Odette, Singapore
29. Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris, France
30. D.O.M., São Paulo, Brazil
31. Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain
32. Tickets, Barcelona, Spain
33. The Clove Club, London, England
34. Alinea, Chicago, Illinois
35. Maaemo, Oslo, Norway
36. Reale, Castel Di Sangro, Italy
37. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin, Germany
38. Lyle's (London)
39. Astrid y Gastón, Lima, Peru
40. Septime, Paris, France
41. Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo, Japan
42. Ledbury, London, England
43. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu, Spain
44. Mikla, Istanbul, Turkey
45. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London, England
46. Saison, San Francisco, California
49. Nahm, Bangkok, Thailand
50. Test Kitchen, Cape Town, South Africa
The list, which has been released for 17 years running, has been criticized for not recognizing female chefs, as well as a bias toward expensive, European restaurants.
For the ranking, professional services consultancy Deloitte adjudicated the voting process.
Like this story? Subscribe to CNBC Make It on YouTube!