U.S. News

Charlotte police will show video of fatal confrontation to victim's family

A demonstrator stares down law enforcement during protests September 21, 2016 in Charlotte, NC. Protests in Charlotte began on Tuesday in response to the fatal shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott at an apartment complex near UNC Charlotte.
Getty Images

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney told reporters on Thursday that video of the fatal police shooting of a black man will be shown to the man's family but not to the public for the time being.

Speaking on the morning after a second night of unrest in North Carolina's largest city over the killing, Putney said he has seen the video of the confrontation and it's unclear that Keith Lamont Scott was pointing a weapon at police. He said the video was still being reviewed.

"We will not rest until we bring all people to justice," said Putney, who is black.

NC under state of emergency

The protests came in the wake of Tuesday's fatal shooting of the 43-year-old Scott. His family has said he was holding a book at the time while police say the man was holding a gun.

The plainclothes officer who shot Scott, Brently Vinson, is black. He has been placed on leave, as is standard procedure in such cases, The Associated Press reported.

North Carolina declared a state of emergency after protests escalated Wednesday. During the demonstrations, one protester was shot by a fellow protester, according to police.

Four officers were hurt during the protests with injuries that were not life-threatening, the police department tweeted on Thursday. Putney said Thursday nine civilians were also injured.

The chief said officials now have several hundred additional officers to protect infrastructure and residents can expect to see an increased presence of law enforcement.

At the news conference, Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts asked for a full and transparent investigation and said the city is partnering with the state for additional resources. She added that the streets are safe and pledged that the city will function as normal.

Roberts told ABC's "Good Morning America" that officials were considering a curfew, and she said in an interview with NPR that the timing of the video's release depends on how the investigation progresses.

When asked if officials shouldn't be more transparent, she said: "The transparency would be helpful if the footage is clear and if it covers all the different parts of what happened that evening. Since I haven't seen it, I'm not certain of that and that may be the case. There were a couple of different body cameras, there was a dash camera, but as you know sometimes those can be not clear."

The Associated Press contributed to this story.