×

McDonald's executive shakeup continues as two more US leaders retire

People enter a McDonald's restaurant
Edgar Su | Reuters
People enter a McDonald's restaurant

The shakeup at McDonald's continues, as two more longtime executives are set to depart the fast-food giant.

Chief Field Officer Karen King and Senior Vice President of Customer Experience Erik Hess will both exit at the end of the year, spokeswoman Terri Hickey confirmed to CNBC Sunday.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier in the day that the announcements were coming.

"While Karen and Erik will be greatly missed, their retirements provide an opportunity to change our organizational structure to further enhance our connectivity with our owner-operators and our customers," Hickey said in an e-mailed statement.

The departures are the latest in a string of executive exits from the fast-food giant, which is trying to improve its U.S. business. In August, the company said its domestic President Mike Andres plans to retire at the end of 2016.

David Hoffmann, who headed up McDonald's high-growth markets, moved over to Dunkin' Donuts earlier this month. And after 20 years with the company, Chief Administrative Officer Pete Bensen also recently retired.

Chris Kempczinski, who previously served as executive vice president of strategy, business development and innovation, will transition into the role of McDonald's USA president on Jan. 1, Hickey said.

Charlie Robeson will take on expanded responsibilities as U.S. chief restaurant officer, which include overseeing operations for McDonald's company-owned restaurants and franchising.

McDonald's All Day Breakfast had been a major factor in the chain's turnaround after it launched last October. But during the last earnings cycle, growth fell short of Wall Street estimates, raising doubts about whether it was a sustainable promotion for the company.

McDonald's will release its third-quarter earnings results on Friday.

CNBC's Sarah Whitten contributed to this report