Market Insider

After-hours buzz: SBUX, GPRO, TWLO & more

Wall Street
Brendan McDermid | Reuters

Check out which companies are making headlines after the bell on Thursday:

Starbucks shares popped more than 1 percent after it reported earnings after the bell Thursday. The company reported adjusted earnings of 56 cents a share on $5.71 billion in revenue, beating Wall Street expectations. Overall, same-store sales for the company rose 4 percent during the quarter, with same-store sales in the Americas up 5 percent and China growth up 6 percent.

The company cited a 1 percent decrease in traffic for the lower-than-expected same-store-sales growth in the U.S. However, average ticket price increased by 6 percent, buoying sales. The company's stock has been battered by poor earnings and an industry-wide slowdown in sales in recent quarters, sending shares down more than 13 percent year-to-date. On Thursday, the stock traded at a new 52-week low of $51.77.

Shares of GoPro plunged more than 20 percent after its quarterly results. The company missed expectations on both the top and bottom lines, reporting a third-quarter loss of 60 cents a share on revenues of $241 million. Analysts had expected a much smaller loss of 35 cents per share on revenues of $319 million, according to a Thomson Reuters consensus estimate.

For its fourth quarter, GoPro said it sees adjusted earnings per share between 25 cents and 35 cents, well below analysts' previous estimates of 44 cents a share. The company also guided lower for its fourth-quarter sales during the holiday season. For 2017, founder and CEO Nicholas Woodman said he expects the company to return to profitability, driven by the strength of GoPro's new products and double-digit revenue growth.

Twilio saw its stock fall more than 4 percent after reporting results that beat expectations. The cloud communications platform company posted an adjusted loss of 4 cents per share, which was smaller than the 8 cents per share loss analysts were expecting. The company also reported revenues of $71.5 million, beating expectations of $67 million for the quarter.

Las Vegas Sands shares were up more than 3 percent after it reported earnings. The casino and resort operating company posted earnings of 72 cents per share on revenues of $2.97 billion, beating analysts' estimates. Wall Street forecast EPS of 60 cents on revenues of $2.81 billion.

Its Venetian Macao hit the jackpot, reporting revenues of $773 million, versus estimates of $704 million. Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson said the operating environment in Macao improved during the quarter.

CNBC's Sarah Whitten contributed reporting