Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday hit out at what he called "bullshit" Western threats to seek his indictment by the International Criminal Court (ICC) over his role in a bloody crackdown on drugs.
Police figures show Duterte's campaign has killed more than 2,500 people since he took office on June 30, about three-quarters in police counter-narcotics operations, and the rest believed to be the victims of vigilantes or drug lords eliminating rivals or silencing those who could implicate them.
An ICC prosecutor last month said the Hague-based tribunal might have jurisdiction to prosecute the perpetrators of the killings in the Philippines.
"You scare me that you will jail me? International Criminal Court? Bullshit," Duterte said during a speech.
He scolded the United States for what he called hypocritical threats to try him in the ICC, to which Washington itself is not a signatory. He did not specify when the U.S. threat was made.
U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a news briefing on Monday that he was not aware of any such threat.