- Mary Meeker revealed the stat in her annual report on the future of the internet.
- Industry giants Apple, Amazon, Google, and Facebook were all founded by first or second generation immigrants.
- Silicon Valley has stood in relatively vocal support of immigration in recent months, as the Trump administration eyes stricter regulations and shorter visas.
- Apple founder Steve Jobs is the son of a Syrian immigrant,
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is a second generation Cuban immigrant,
- Google founder Sergey Brin was born in Russia, and
- Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin is a Brazilian native.
Silicon Valley has stood in relatively vocal support of immigration in recent months, as the Trump administration eyes stricter regulations and shorter visas. Executives around the tech industry have called for an easing on restrictions and support for foreign students, in part to help close the country's tech talent gap.
Meeker, a partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and technology investing luminary, presented her annual report on internet trends Wednesday at Recode's Code Conference.
Her manifesto on the tech industry has become an annual event. This year's report focused on the "privacy paradox" of collecting data for profit and the scrutiny that comes with rapid digital growth.
Here's her full 2018 presentation: