Representatives from the Chinese side say they think it likely that Chinese President Xi Jinping will attend the G-20 meeting later this month. But in order to reach a trade...China Economyread more
Software engineers straight out of college often make six-figure salaries, not counting equity compensation.Technologyread more
Wall Street, though, is clamoring for a rate cut, with an 85% chance of a move in July and a 61% probability of three reductions by year's end.The Fedread more
A company spokesperson said the outage was the result of a "an internal technology issue" and was not security related.Retailread more
Using MIT's living wage calculator, CNBC Make It mapped out the minimum amount a single parent must earn to meet their basic needs without relying on outside help in every...Earnread more
The flattening of the yield curve is exuding a bad omen for the stock market if history is any guide.Marketsread more
Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced at a press conference on Saturday that a contentious bill to allow extraditions to mainland China has been put on hold.China Politicsread more
Stratolaunch, the world's largest airplane, which flew once, is up for sale, sources familiar told CNBC.Investing in Spaceread more
Transparency is key… or is it? With the first-ever non-transparent, actively managed exchange-traded fund receiving approval from the SEC, "ETF Edge" goes straight to the...ETF Edgeread more
Mired in a crisis over its best-selling 737 Max plane, Boeing could hand the spotlight over to its rival Airbus at the Paris Air Show.Airlinesread more
A new update to the Apple Watch called watchOS 6 will notify you if the environment you're in is too loud and could damage your hearing.Technologyread more
When it comes to income inequality, even the top 1 percent of earners in the U.S. stack up unevenly, according to a new report by the Economic Policy Institute.
It costs the least in Mississippi, $254,362, to crack the top 1 percent of earners in the state, the think tank found after analyzing annual incomes by state reported in the 2015 U.S. Census. They would need to make almost three times that amount to break into the 1 percent club in Connecticut where top earners make at least $700,800.
The discrepancy when comparing average incomes is even worse with Connecticut's wealthiest 1 percent making an average of more than $2.5 million a year and Mississippi's richest families at $580,461.
The top 1 percent of households in some less fortunate states, in fact, wouldn't even make the cut for the top 5 percent in others.
The nation's highest earners also are increasingly concentrated in a handful of states: California, New York, Texas, Florida and Illinois.
They are also the most unequal. New York was the most unequal state in the nation, when measured by average income, with the top 1 percent averaging about $2.2 million in annual earnings, about 44 times the average income of $49,617 for the other 99 percent.
Florida was the second most unequal, with the richest making an average of $1.5 million, or 40 times, the rest of the Sunshine State at $39,094. Connecticut ranked third with a ratio of 37.
The closest income gap was in Alaska where the top 1 percent earned an average of $910,059, or 12.7 times the average of $71,876 for every other household.
The national minimum for top earners is $421,926, the data show.
The variances are even greater at a community level, as the rich increasingly flock to wealth clusters with like-minded and like-moneyed millionaires and billionaires.
“The dollar amounts of the top 1 percent threshold can vary sharply from one locale to another,” the report said. “A community in which the threshold is less than $100,000 clearly looks different from a community with a threshold greater than $2 million—it means something very different to be in the top 1 percent in Liberty County, Georgia, versus Teton County, Wyoming.”
Here are the minimum household income needed to crack the top 1 percent in each state and the District of Columbia:
Source: Economic Policy Institute