Top Stories
Top Stories
Europe News

Britain's Prince Philip, 97, will not be prosecuted over car crash

Britain's Prince Philip, in his role as Captain General, Royal Marines, attends a Parade to mark the finale of the 1664 Global Challenge, on the Buckingham Palace Forecourt, in central London, Britain August 2, 2017.
Yui Mok | Reuters

Queen Elizabeth's 97-year-old husband Prince Philip will not face prosecution after a car crash last month that injured two women, Britain's Crown Prosecution Service said on Thursday.

Philip, who escaped without injury on Jan. 17 when the Land Rover he was driving flipped in a collision with a car close to the royals' Sandringham residence in eastern England, voluntarily gave up his driving licence earlier this month.

"We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving licence," the CPS' Chris Long said in a statement.

"We have decided that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute."

Related Tags