A second wrongful death suit has been filed against energy drink maker Monster Beverage.
Attorneys retained by the family of 19-year-old Alex Morris filed suit in California today. The attorneys claim that 19-year- old Alex Morris suffered cardiac arrest July 1st of last year after consuming at least two 16-ounce cans of Monster's energy drink the day before his death.
The California Coroner's office ruled his death was due to cardiac arrhythmia and cardiomyopathy. That report is similar to the report filed by a coroner in Maryland in the case of 14-year-old Anais Fournier who died in the fall of last year.
(Read More: McDonald's Retreats From Selling Halal Food After Lawsuit)
Both lawsuits were filed by the same team of attorneys including Maryland-based Kevin Goldberg of Goldberg, Finnegan and Mester.
Goldberg says: "we are committed to holding energy-drink companies accountable for the injuries and deaths their products are causing."
Late on Tuesday, a spokesperson for Monster said in a statement: "the lawsuit admits that Mr. Morris consumed Monster Energy Drinks for years without incident. Simply because Mr. Morris happened to have consumed a Monster Energy Drink or two on the day of his cardiac arrest does not establish any causal connection between the two."
Earlier this year an attorney representing Monster said two doctors the company hired found no evidence to support claims Anais Fournier died due to consuming their drink.
In that case, the girl had an existing heart problem but it was not severe enough for doctors to limit her activities and tell her to stay away from caffeine.