Here's what's happening now — with projections from NBC News:
- Clinton has reportedly called Trump to concede, and NBC has projected the election will go to Trump.
- New Hampshire, Michigan and Arizona are all too close to call.
- Trump is projected to win key battlegrounds Ohio and North Carolina.
- He was the apparent winner in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, NBC reported.
- The GOP nominee is also the apparent winner in Florida, according to NBC News.
- Trump is also the projected winner in Utah, a state that featured a relatively close three-way race.
- Clinton is the projected winner in Nevada, Maine and Virginia.
- Trump was the projected winner in several states he had been expected to win: Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Iowa, Idaho, Indiana, West Virginia, South Carolina, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, Wyoming, Louisiana and Kentucky.
- Clinton is the projected winner in several states she had been expected to win: California, Connecticut, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Oregon, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. She is also projected to win in D.C.
- As expected, the Republicans are projected to maintain control of the House.
- When Trump appeared to be outperforming most analysts' expectations on Tuesday night, Dow futures fell more than 800 points at one point. After he declared victory, Dow futures were down less than 300 points.
- Here's what early exit polls said about this year's electorate.
As for the Senate, NBC projected early Wednesday that the GOP would retain control.
related investing news
And here's CNBC's latest election night coverage and analysis:
Trump just became the betting market favorite for the first time
Michigan just became more important in determining next president
Stock futures crater as race shows Trump outperforming
What people are searching for — and posting about— the election
Republican Rob Portman to win bid for re-election: NBC News
Small New Hampshire seen as key for Trump, Clinton and Senate control
NBC News Exit Poll: Two Unpopular Candidates
Showdown in the Buckeye State: 'As Ohio goes, so goes the nation'
Florida votes and nation waits to see if it will decide presidential election
Candidates face off for Pennsylvania and its 20 electoral votes
In Pennsylvania swing town, immigration is all the talk for voters
North Carolina hits ballot access problems with 15 EVs in play
Dixville Notch, NH, goes to Clinton, Millsfield goes to Trump
Photo of Trump glancing at Melania as she votes goes viral
If I lose, race would have been a 'tremendous waste,' Trump says
Senate as critical as presidency this time, former GOP senator says
GOP will face 'soul searching moment' tomorrow, fmr governor says
Poll closing times for each state on Election Day
Op-Ed: When can I go to bed? An hour-by-hour election night guide
In a well-off Pennsylvania county, voters are divided on election day
Trump campaign files Nevada lawsuit
North Carolina basks—and sweats—in election spotlight
On Election Day, Trump still says it's 'largely a rigged system'
Where you vote affects how you vote
How election may leave status quo in DC
How NBC News projects elections winners
Foreign policy expert: Election has been 'incredibly damaging' to US
Cashin warns a GOP sweep may be a slight negative for the markets
Clinton's '3rd term' of Obama would cause recession, says billionaire
Trump awakens a sleeping giant...