Fed Chairman Jerome Powell faces the tough challenge of presenting a unified voice on Fed policy from the most divided Fed in years.Market Insiderread more
Boris Johnson will be meeting President Donald Trump to discuss a potential post-Brexit trade deal just as he tries to court EU leaders for a new withdrawal agreement.World Politicsread more
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou, who is under house arrest in Canada and facing extradition to America, is not a bargaining chip in the trade...Technologyread more
Arturo Estrella has a message for recession naysayers: It could hit sooner than you think.Marketsread more
Accountants in Hong Kong took to the streets on Friday to call for the government to accept five demands of the people, including the complete withdrawal of a now-suspended...China Politicsread more
Recent trade friction between the two Asian powerhouses has morphed into a dispute with political implications that go far beyond the region.Asia Politicsread more
Local governments commonly share single service providers, making many vulnerable at once. On top of this, ransomware has often been used to mask more targeted, malicious...Technologyread more
The unlikely alliance would in theory enjoy a relatively comfortable majority in the parliament's lower house but would rely on a handful of sympathetic but unaligned...Europe Politicsread more
Bank Indonesia on Thursday cut its key policy rate by 25 basis points to 5.5% to support growth amid an increasingly fragile global economy.Central Banksread more
Meanwhile, investors look ahead to Fed Chair Jerome Powell's speech at a yearly central banking symposium in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.Asia Marketsread more
The U.S Energy Information Administration (EIA) says Australia is on track to consistently export more LNG than Qatar.Oil and Gasread more
"We've got to get tax reform done by then. We're confident we can do that," the Wisconsin Republican said at an event sponsored by news site Axios.
Tax cuts — a central Republican priority — helped fuel investor optimism after President Donald Trump 's election in November, and they underpin the optimistic growth forecasts being put forward by the White House.
Between the GOP's struggle to pass a plan to replace the Affordable Care Act, a coming appropriations process in Congress, and high-level investigations into the Trump campaign, Republican hopes for quickly passing its agenda have stalled of late.
Ryan echoed Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, who said Tuesday that "our objective" is to get tax reform "done this year."
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell recently said he hopes to get tax reform passed in the current Congress, which may indicate that he's not be hopeful about passage this year.
Ryan also pushed back against statements that Republicans have struggled to achieve their agenda. He said that if Republicans slash regulations, pass a health-care overhaul and cut taxes by January, it will have been a good year.
A potential hurdle to tax reform is whether Republicans can agree on so-called border adjustment, a provision of the House GOP plan. Ryan and House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Rep. Kevin Brady of Texas have supported the plan, despite doubts in the White House and Senate.
Ryan said Wednesday he can envision a scenario in which the House passes a tax reform plan without border adjustment.
He reiterated that he feels Republicans agree on 80 percent of tax reform, but they need to reach a consensus on the remaining 20 percent.