- YouTube's top trending video of the year is "Until we will become dust" from Thai singing competition "The Mask Singer."
- The video has been viewed more than 181 million times since it was posted in June.
- In addition to views, YouTube rankings take into account likes and comments.
A Thai singer performing in an oyster costume is YouTube's top trending video of the year.
"Until we will become dust" has been viewed more than 181 million times since it was posted in June. It also has a 94 percent thumbs up rate. YouTube's top trending video rankings consider such factors as views, comments and likes over the course of the year.
The man in the oyster mask was on the latest season of "The Mask Singer," a singing competition involving masked celebrities in elaborate costumes. Their identities are revealed only when they are defeated. Videos from the competition were viewed more than 3 billion times in 2017.
The oyster singer was on the Thai series, but there are also Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese versions. An American version is also in development from Fox, according to Deadline. He was later revealed to be singer Panthapol Prasarnratchakij from the Thai rock band Cocktail. (Here's what he looks like in real life.)
Rounding out the top five trending videos of the year are:
- A dance video set to "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran from Kyle Hanagami Choreography
- "Ping Pong Trick Shots" from Dude Perfect
- A 12-year-old singing ventriloquist who was on NBC's "America's Got Talent."
- Sheeran's Carpool Karaoke segment on "The Late Late Show with James Corden" on CBS.
Correction: A transliteration error from Thai misspelled the oyster singer's name.