When you think of hazardous golf courses, you think of lakes, sand traps and maybe the occasional lightning. But here’s one hazard you probably didn’t think of – playing on prison grounds!
The Prison View Golf Course at the Louisiana State Penitentiary made Cheapflights’ Top 10 Hazardous Golf Courses. And lest you think this is some mamby pamby Camp Cupcake prison, the LSP is the largest maximum security prison in the US. In addition to serious security measures, it also features a 9-hole golf course and you can play it for the low greens fee of $10 plus $5 per person if you want a cart.
You don’t even have to commit a felony to get in!
A couple notes: The background check will take 48 hours, you may have your vehicle or person searched at any time and no alcohol or firearms allowed.
For your peace of mind, the golf course’s web site says convicted felons and anyone on the inmates’ visitors list will not be allowed access to the golf course. The prisoners do, however, do all of the groundskeeping work — everything from cutting the grass to fetching balls out of the water.
And Warden Burl Cain told The Advocate that they have never had a riot. However, you should be warned that additional hazards include alligators, rattlesnakes and water moccasins.
And unlike most golf courses, Cain reserves the right to suspend play at any time.
And yes, they’ll let you out!
Among the other courses that made Cheapflights’ Top 10 Hazardous Golf Course List:
- Singapore Island Country Club in Singapore. Hazards: wild animals such as cobras, monkeys and wild boars.
- The Lost City Golf Course in Sun City, South Africa. Hazards: crocodiles.
- Merapi Golf Course in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Hazards: active volcano nearby.
- Camp Bonifas in Panmunjom, South Korea. Hazards: It’s 400 miles south of the demilitarized zone that is the buffer between North and South Korea. Oh, also, wild animals include “vampire deer” and something that has been described as a “man-bear-pig,” according to Cheapflights.
- Cardbrook Golf Course, Brisbane Australia. Hazards: Sharks!
- World Ice Golf Championship, Uummannaq, Greenland. Hazards: Ice and freezing temperatures. (It’s in the Arctic Circle)
- The Ocean Course Golf Course, Kiawah Island, South Carolina. Hazards: whipping ocean winds, heat and wild animals, including alligators and snakes.
- Skukuza Golf Course, Kruger National Park, South Africa. Hazards: Lions, elephants, leopards, warthogs, hippopotamus and buffalo.
- Cape Kidnapper’s Golf Course, Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand. Hazards: falling off a cliff called “Pirate’s Plank.”
Yar! Who’s ready for some golf?
More Golf From CNBC.com:
Email us at email@example.com or drop a line in the comment box below.
More from The Pony Blog: ponyblog.cnbc.com