Our top picks of timely offers from our partnersMore details
This offer is no longer available.
If you're looking to save on grocery shopping, now's a great time to consider applying for the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. Amex increased the welcome bonus to $300, which is $50 more than usual, and added a $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95 (see rates and fees).
In order to earn the $300 statement credit, you need to spend $3,000 on eligible purchases on your new card within the first six months from account opening.
Plus you'll benefit from a lucrative rewards program:
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%) — perfect for stocking up on food
- 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions — a nice way to be rewarded for watching your favorite holiday movies
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more — great for traveling to all your destinations
- 1% cash back on other purchases — standard earning for gifts and everything else
Here's a breakdown of who's eligible to earn the bonus, plus how you can redeem your cash back.
If you’ve never had the Blue Cash Preferred Card, you may qualify for the welcome bonus. Amex follows the pattern of other card issuers like Chase that set restrictions on who’s eligible to earn a welcome bonus.
The offer terms state:
The welcome offer, intro APRs, and intro plan fees are not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer, intro APRs, and intro plan fee eligibility.
So if you’ve ever had the Blue Cash Preferred Card, you can’t earn the bonus. On top of that, Amex considers how many American Express credit cards you have and other factors, which means your qualification odds are decided on a case-by-case basis.
The cash back you earn is received in the form of Blue Cash Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit when you have a minimum balance of 25 Reward Dollars. Additional redemption options include gift cards and merchandise from popular retailers like Apple and Cuisinart.
No, Reward Dollars don’t expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing.
The Blue Cash Preferred Card welcome bonus previously ran for a limited time through Dec. 10 and is now back for an undetermined time period. While Amex hasn’t announced what welcome bonus will be available once this offer is over, it’ll likely go back to the prior offer that’s worth $250 cash back. Typically, card issuers don’t provide consumers a lot of insight into when their special offers come and go.
Check out our Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card review.
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, click here.
- American Express cardmembers can receive up to $300 in credits during Member WeekBrett Holzhauer
- Four million borrowers are now being excluded from student loan forgivenessBrett Holzhauer
- Members of Congress have been trading stocks for years — soon, 2 new ETFs will let you follow alongBrett Holzhauer