Our top picks of timely offers from our partnersMore details
If you’ve dropped your cell phone before, you’re familiar with the rush of adrenaline that occurs when you pick it up to check for damage. After all, the costs to repair a cracked screen or more serious damage can add up. For instance, you'll pay $329 to replace the screen on an iPhone 11 Pro Max that’s out of warranty.
While you can pay for cell phone insurance, you can save money on protection plans by using a credit card that offers cell phone protection at no additional cost.
American Express is launching a new cell phone protection benefit on 12 U.S. consumer and small business cards that can reimburse you for damage or theft of your eligible cell phone. This new benefit will be effective on April 1, 2021 and help you offset repair or replacement costs, subject to terms.
Here’s what you need to know about Amex’s upcoming cell phone protection benefit.
This launch will mark the first time American Express cards provide cell phone protection.
Here are the 12 eligible cards:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Centurion® Card from American Express
- The Business Centurion Card® from American Express
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
- The Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab
- The Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley
- The Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Goldman Sachs
- The Centurion® Card from American Express Exclusively for Goldman Sachs
Amex’s cell phone protection plan offers coverage if your cell phone is stolen or damaged, including a cracked screen. You can be reimbursed for the repair or replacement costs for up to two approved claims, with a maximum of $800 per claim or $1,600 per 12-month period. The coverage amounts are generous compared to cards from other issuers that generally offer $600 per claim or $1,200 per 12-month period.
While there is a $50 deductible per approved claim, this is standard since cards from other issuers charge $25, $50 or $100 per claim.
In order to benefit from coverage, your cell phone line must be listed on a wireless bill and the prior month’s wireless bill must be paid with your eligible card.
For more information about the coverage, check out the guide to benefits at americanexpress.com/CPPTerms.
Select Offer of the Week, spotlighting a new financial product that can help you earn, save or spend your money smarter. Sign up now.
- Travel alert: United Airlines and Chase launch New United Quest Card with 100,000-mile bonus offerElizabeth Gravier
- Limited-time travel offer: Capital One Venture card offers new cardholders up to 100,000 bonus milesElizabeth Gravier
- Freelancers and independent contractors: Quarterly taxes are still due April 15Megan DeMatteo