Our top picks of timely offers from our partnersMore details
The offer mentioned below for The Platinum Card® from American Express is no longer available. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
As of July 1, The Platinum Card® from American Express is not just a coveted luxury travel card, but a premium lifestyle card for just about any consumer.
American Express has given The Platinum Card a makeover with added enhanced travel benefits and new everyday perks so cardholders can get the most out of their dining, wellness, retail and entertainment spending. Amex estimates that this new suite of benefits is worth up to $1,400 in value each year, which helps offset the new annual fee, which is increasing from $550 to $695. (See rates and fees)
In addition to the enhanced benefits, American Express is offering new Platinum cardholders a very generous welcome bonus: You can earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points when you spend $6,000 on purchases on the card in your first six months of card membership.
"The new Platinum Card is a premium lifestyle card designed for how people live today," says Howard Grosfield, EVP and general manager of U.S. Consumer and Global Premium Services. "We see a huge demand for travel and dining, and a new appreciation for the comforts of home."
Here's what you can expect from the updated Amex Platinum:
If you're someone who likes to travel in comfort, these added benefits will make your next vacation or business trip so much more luxurious:
- Up to $200 hotel credit: Cardholders receive $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when they pay with their Platinum Card®.
- Up to $189 CLEAR® credit: Cardholders receive an annual statement credit for a CLEAR® membership, which offers expedited security screening at select airports and stadiums across the U.S.
- Access to even more airport lounges: Cardholders get access to 1,300+ airport lounges in over 500 airports and 140 countries. This includes the recently expanded Centurion® Network with over 40 premium lounges located worldwide.
- Premium private jet program: Cardholders can take advantage of a 20% discount on Wheels Up Connect and a 40% discount on Wheels Up Core memberships, allowing you to book private jet charters on-demand. Cardholders also get a $500 or $2,000 credit added to their Wheels Up account to use toward their initial flight within their first year of membership depending on their selected Wheels Up plan. Visit the Wheels Up website for more information.
Platinum Card members already enjoyed a whole range of travel perks, including up to $200 airline fee credit, up to $200 Uber credit and up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® application fee ($100 every four years for Global Entry and up to $85 every 4.5 years for TSA PreCheck).
On top of new travel benefits, Platinum Card members now can enjoy a range of benefits aimed at improving their everyday lives.
- $240 digital entertainment credit: Cardholders get up to $240 in annual statement credits ($20 per month) on eligible purchases or subscriptions on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times (enrollment required).
- $300 Equinox credit: Cardholders can take advantage of an up to $300 annual statement credit on purchases of eligible Equinox Fitness Club monthly memberships or a digital subscription to Equinox+ (the on-demand fitness app). *Starting in 2023, statement credits for the $300 Equinox Credit benefit will be provided on an annual basis of up to $300 per year and will no longer be provided on a monthly basis of up to $25 back per month. See offer terms for details.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- Global dining access by Resy: Cardholders can take advantage of the new Global Dining Access program by Resy that offers exclusive reservations at some of the world's top restaurants, access to premium events and other perks like priority notify and VIP status.
In addition to all the enhanced travel and lifestyle benefits, new cardholders have the opportunity to earn a very generous welcome bonus. You can earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points when you spend $6,000 on purchases on the card in your first six months of card membership. If you redeem the rewards for a 1:1 value, this is worth $1,000.
Before the refresh, new cardholders only earned 75,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 within six months of account opening.
New travel perks and lifestyle benefits come at a higher cost for Platinum Card members. The new annual fee is $695, which is a $145 increase.
Platinum Cardholders who opened accounts prior to July 1, 2021, will see the new annual fee take effect on their annual renewal dates on or after Jan. 1, 2022.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express cardholders also get access to the same added travel benefits, plus recent cell phone protections.
- Annual up to $189 CLEAR® credit
- More airport lounges through the recently expanded Centurion Lounge Network
- Discounts toward a Premium Private Jet Program with Wheels Up membership
- Global Dining Access program by Resy
Beyond all the new statement credits, the Amex Platinum will continue to offer a generous rewards program:
- 5X points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel (starting Jan. 1, 2021, this applies to up to $500,000 in eligible purchases per calendar year)
- 5X points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel
- 1X points on all other eligible purchases
- Terms apply
Amex Platinum cardholders can still enjoy the following membership perks and services:
- Up to $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit on purchases in-store or online at saks.com (up to $50 in statement credits from January through June and up to $50 in statement credits from July through December, once enrolled).
- Complimentary suite of benefits with average $550 value at over 1,100 properties worldwide when booking through Amex's Fine Hotels + Resorts®. Benefits include free daily breakfast, room upgrades when available at check-in and $100 value property, dining or spa credit.
- Payment flexibility with features like Pay It Plan It® and Pay Over Time, so cardholders can choose to create monthly payment plans with a fixed fee, carry a balance with interest or pay in full each month. Learn more about these features and terms.
- Purchase protection, which can help protect eligible purchases made on your Amex Platinum card if they're stolen, lost or accidentally damaged. Cardholders get up to 90 days of coverage from purchase date and $10,000 per occurrence, $50,000 per calendar year.
- Cell phone protection for repair or replacement costs following damage or theft up to $800 per claim, with a limit of two approved claims per 12-month period, when the cell phone line is listed on a wireless bill and the prior month's wireless bill was paid by an eligible card account. A $50 deductible will apply to each approved claim.
For the rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
- Get cash back, travel rewards or valuable perks with the best credit cards for couplesJason Stauffer
- Auto loan rejections are at an all-time high — here's how to improve your odds of getting approvedLiz Knueven
- U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve review: The ultimate contactless payment credit cardJason Stauffer