Our top picks of timely offers from our partnersMore details
Whether or not we're prepared for it, the coronavirus pandemic is changing the way Americans live and work.
One of the most immediate adjustments we've had to make is the move to remote work for professionals across numerous industries. And it looks like it will take a lot longer for anyone to return to normal office life than we first anticipated.
If you're going to be WFH for the long haul, you might want to consider adding another credit card to your wallet, one that will offer bonus rewards in categories like home renovation, office supplies or food delivery services that you need now that your work life and home life are blended.
Below, Select reviews the best credit cards to use when you work from home:
- Small business cards
- Best credit cards for employer reimbursements
- Best credit cards for home office renovations
- Best cards for food delivery
Before we start, there's one important factor to remember: Some of these cards charge an annual fee, which you'll want to consider before you apply. Most cards with annual fees come with rewards and perks that outweigh the costs, but since we're all cutting back on spending right now, you'll want to be extra thoughtful.
As always, before you apply for any of the following cards, we recommend checking your odds of getting approved with a preapproval tool. That way, you can get an idea where you stand without pulling a hard inquiry and dinging your score.
Whether you're the sole proprietor of a small business that's been up and running for years, or you recently started a side hustle to make extra cash while you're on furlough, you can likely qualify for a small business credit card. You can use your personal credit score to apply, along with some record or projection of your revenue.
Even if your business is just launching, you can benefit from rewards on expenses like office supplies and marketing costs. Plus, when you're ready to add employees, most business credit cards allow free employee cards.
Here are some of the best small business cards:
- Best for cash back: Capital One Spark Cash for Business
- Best for travel: Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
- Best for luxury perks: The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Best for financing new purchases: The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Best for average credit: Capital One Spark Classic for Business
Check out our full comparison of best business credit cards.
If you are one of the fortunate workers whose employer provides a work-from-home stipend to pay for home office supplies, you could put those charges on a credit card to earn rewards.
If you're worried it will take a while for your employer to reimburse you, take advantage of promotional 0% financing that gives you up to 20 months to pay for the expenses. A 0% APR credit card can give you plenty of time to submit your receipts and get your employer's reimbursement check.
Here are the best 0% APR credit cards for financing new purchases:
- Amex EveryDay® Credit Card
- Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Chase Freedom Flex℠
Check out our full comparison of 0% APR credit cards.
If working from home has finally inspired you to transform the spare bedroom into a functional home office space, you can use one of our best credit cards for home improvements to help you finance the expense.
Here are some cards to help you earn rewards while you remodel your house:
- Best home improvement store card: Lowe's Advantage Credit Card
- Best for buying tools and appliances: Citi® Double Cash Card
- Best for financing a big-ticket remodel: Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Best for banking other rewards while spending: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Check out our full comparison of home improvement credit cards.
You may have expected to have more time to cook now that you're at home, but juggling the all the new work-from-home responsibilities can be a lot (especially when you're a parent with kids who aren't in school). There are many options if you're looking for a credit card that rewards you for having dinner delivered:
Here are the best cards for food delivery:
- Best for GrubHub and Seamless: American Express® Gold Card
- Best for DoorDash: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Best for other food delivery: Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card
Check out our full comparison of food delivery credit cards.
Don't forget: You can now use select Amex points and Capital One miles to pay for takeout and food delivery for a limited time. And if you are a Citi Prestige® cardholder, you can apply the card's $250 travel credit toward restaurant and supermarket purchases now through December 21, 2020.
Learn more about how your credit card rewards can help you pay for groceries, food delivery and essentials during coronavirus.
Information about the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card, Citi Prestige® Card, Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card, Lowe's Advantage Credit Card, Citi Simplicity® Card, Amex EveryDay® Credit Card, Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card, Capital One Spark Cash for Business, and Capital One Spark Classic for Business has been collected independently by Select and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of the card prior to publication.
- Wells Fargo to launch no-annual-fee card with 2% cash back on purchases and a $200 welcome bonusTrina Paul
- Citi launches new no-annual-fee card with 5% cash back in your top eligible spending categoryElizabeth Gravier
- U.S. Bank business credit card review: $500 welcome bonus, no annual fee, cash-back rewardsElizabeth Gravier