Our top picks of timely offers from our partnersMore details
This card joins two other consumer United cards, the United℠ Explorer Card ($95 annual fee, waived the first year) and the United Club℠ Infinite Card ($525 annual fee), making it the only United card with no annual fee that’s currently open to new applicants.
If you often fly United, you may want to consider adding this no-annual-fee card to your wallet to maximize the miles you earn on everyday purchases like gas and commuting. And if you have one of the older United TravelBank and Legacy United MileagePlus cards, Chase will be transitioning you to the new Gateway card (timeline to be announced soon).
Here’s a breakdown of the new United Gateway Card’s key benefits.
The United Gateway Card provides you with elevated rewards on United purchases, groceries, gas and transportation expenses. Here’s what rewards you can expect:
- 3X miles on grocery store purchases, up to $15,000, for the first year your account is open
- 2X miles on United purchases
- 2X miles at gas stations
- 2X miles at local transit and commuting
- 1X mile on all other purchases
New cardmembers can also benefit from a welcome bonus: Earn up to 15,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
The bonus offer is lower than the United Explorer, but that’s to be expected with a no-annual-fee card.
Beyond rewards, you'll receive access to a variety of travel and purchase coverages, including:
- Purchase protection
- Extended warranty protection
- Roadside dispatch
- Auto rental collision damage waiver (secondary)
- Travel and emergency assistance services
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance
In addition, you can receive 25% back as a statement credit on in-flight United purchases of food, beverages and wifi, as well as no foreign transaction fees.
Earn 3x on grocery store purchases up to $15k for the first year account is open. Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases, at gas stations and on local transit and commuting; 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
Earn up to 15,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
16.49% to 23.49% variable
Balance transfer fee
5%, minimum $5
Foreign transaction fees
- Hilton Honors American Express Business Card review: Big welcome bonus and automatic elite statusBrett Holzhauer
- Southwest launches record-high 100,000-point credit card welcome bonusesBrett Holzhauer
- American Express Business Platinum Card relaunches with new perks, 120,000-point welcome offerBrett Holzhauer