Our top picks of timely offers from our partnersMore details
Chase and Capital One offer a wide range of travel credit cards that can be beneficial if you’re looking to save on your next trip. The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card are two comparable cards that both have $95 annual fees and an array of travel perks.
If you’re someone who typically travels often, you should consider opening one of these cards. Even if you don’t have any upcoming vacations, you can use the Sapphire Preferred or Venture to earn rewards that can offset future travel arrangements. Depending on the card you open, you can benefit from a fee credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, travel insurances and/or a generous welcome bonus.
Select breaks down the features of each card, so you can choose the best one for your needs.
Both cards come with a $95 annual fee, which is on the lower end when you consider some other travel cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve® have fees of up to $550. You can more easily offset this annual fee through the rewards you earn each year. For instance, you can cover the annual fee by spending $4,750 each year on travel with the Sapphire Preferred since those purchases earn 2X points per dollar spent.
With the Venture card, you can recoup the annual fee by spending $4,750 everyday purchases that earn 2X miles, or even faster if you book hotel and rental cars with Capital One Travel, which earn 5X miles per dollar spent.
Neither card offers an introductory 0% APR period on new purchases or balance transfers.
Winner: Tie, since the annual fees are the same.
While Sapphire Preferred and Venture have a slight overlap in rewards, they provide different reward rates on other purchases. Here’s the break down.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred: 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining, 2X points on all other travel purchases
- Capital One Venture Rewards: Earn 5X miles on hotel and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel℠, unlimited 2X miles on all other purchases.
In addition to every day rewards, you can benefit from lucrative welcome bonuses.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred: Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
- Capital One Venture Rewards: Earn 60,000 bonus miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
The Venture Rewards bonus is worth up to $600 when you redeem your Venture miles as a statement credit to offset past travel purchases.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred 60,000-point welcome bonus is worth up to $750 if you redeem your Chase points for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® portal or with the Pay Yourself Back tool to receive 25% more value.
Both cards also offer other redemption options, such as gift cards and transfers to travel partners.
Winner: Tie. Both cards have the same welcome bonus offer, and in the long run you earn about the same number of rewards on both cards.
Consumers with either card can benefit from:
- Ability to transfer points to participating frequent travel programs
- No foreign transaction fees
- Trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance
- Travel accident insurance
- Auto rental collision damage waiver
- Roadside assistance
- Zero liability protection
- 24/7 customer service specialists
- Purchase protection
- Extended warranty protection
- Exclusive access to culinary, music and sports events (Note that due to the coronavirus, many in-person events have been paused.)
Chase Sapphire Preferred card holders enjoy these added perks:
- Receive 25% more value on points redeemed for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® portal
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022
- Receive a complimentary DashPass membership for a minimum of one year, which provides free delivery and lower service fees from hundreds of restaurants on DoorDash orders of $12 or more (You must activate by December 31, 2021)
- Baggage delay insurance
- Lost luggage insurance
- Trip delay reimbursement
- Travel and emergency assistance services
Capital One Venture Rewards card holders enjoy these added perks:
- Up to $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee every four years
Winner: Chase Sapphire Preferred, since it offers a wide array of additional perks that can help you out during travel predicaments like baggage and trip delays.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred and Capital One Venture Rewards cards are two competitive options for consumers looking to take advantage of travel benefits. But at the end of the day, choosing the best card depends on your individual preferences.
If earning rewards is your main focus, the Venture card outpaces the Sapphire Preferred card. But if you’re looking for a full range of travel benefits, like lost luggage insurance and trip delay reimbursement, the Sapphire Preferred card has you covered.
While these cards are both good options for travelers, you may want to consider alternatives that may be a better fit. If you’re looking for a premium credit card, check out the American Express® Gold Card with monthly $10 dining credits, which can be used at Grubhub, Seamless and participating restaurants (one-time activation required). And if you want a no-annual-fee travel card, consider the Discover it® Miles.
$50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining, 2X points on all other travel purchases, 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022, and 1X points on all other purchases
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
15.99% to 22.99% variable on purchases and balance transfers
Balance transfer fee
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
Foreign transaction fee
5X miles on hotel and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel℠, 2X miles per dollar on every other purchase
Earn 60,000 bonus miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
N/A for purchases and balance transfers
17.24% to 24.49% variable on purchases and balance transfers
Balance transfer fee
3% for promotional APR offers; none for balances transferred at regular APR
Foreign transaction fee
To determine which credit cards offer the best value, Select analyzed popular credit cards available in the U.S. We compared each card on a range of features, including rewards, welcome bonus, introductory and standard APR, balance transfer fee and foreign transaction fees, as well as factors such as required credit and customer reviews when available. We also considered additional perks, the application process and how easy it is for the consumer to redeem points.
Select teamed up with location intelligence firm Esri. The company's data development team provided the most up-to-date and comprehensive consumer spending data based on the 2019 Consumer Expenditure Surveys from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. You can read more about their methodology here.
Esri's data team created a sample annual budget of approximately $22,126 in retail spending. The budget includes six main categories: groceries ($5,174), gas ($2,218), dining out ($3,675), travel ($2,244), utilities ($4,862) and general purchases ($3,953). General purchases include items such as housekeeping supplies, clothing, personal care products, prescription drugs and vitamins, and other vehicle expenses.
Select used this budget to estimate how much the average consumer would save over the course of a year, two years and five years, assuming they would attempt to maximize their rewards potential by earning all welcome bonuses offered and using the card for all applicable purchases. All rewards total estimations are net the annual fee.
While the five-year estimates we've included are derived from a budget similar to the average American's spending, you may earn a higher or lower return depending on your shopping habits.
Information about the Capital One Venture Rewards has been collected independently by Select and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of the cards prior to publication.
For rates and fees of the Discover it® Miles, click here.
- Bank of America announces Business Advantage Unlimited Cash Rewards CardBrett Holzhauer
- This Southwest Rapid Rewards 100,000-point bonus is one of the best in the market — here's whyBrett Holzhauer
- Hilton Honors American Express Business Card review: Big welcome bonus and automatic elite statusBrett Holzhauer